Pregnancy Treatments with Joanna the Massaging Midwife
For availability and booking:
Come for a wonderfully revitalising, nurturing, and nourishing maternity treatment with me, Joanna The Massaging Midwife. As an extremely experienced massage therapist and a registered midwife, I am well qualified to design a treatment for you that will meet both your physical and emotional needs, as well as support you to prepare for labour with massage and teach you how to massage your baby!
A massage with me will be
- Wonderful preparation for birth and parenting.
- Deeply relaxing.
- A chance to stop, stay still, and connect to your baby.
- Great for releasing typical discomfort, tensions, strains of pregnancy and the postnatal period.
Why have a massage when you're pregnant?
Your body is AMAZING! You will be undergoing incredible physical, hormonal and emotional changes in pregnancy. Regular or even a one-off treatment can be enormously beneficial to support this process.
A pregnancy massage with me may help to:
- Relieve the strain and stresses of pregnancy
As your baby grows, your posture and alignment adapts. The increasing weight of your tummy and your muscles and joints lengthening and softening is hard work for your body, and muscles can feel tired as they get stretched. I will use the right pressure and techniques to soothe and ease your aches.
- Recuperate from exhaustion
Exhaustion can be relieved with deep relaxation techniques, and stimulation of acupressure points can alleviate typical pregnancy symptoms such as nausea.
- Support your pelvis and stretch you out
Your pelvis is working hard in pregnancy. Massage may help to lengthen the lower back and decrease pelvic tilting, shorten and tone abdominal muscles, and open up the chest and lungs. Joint mobilisations will help to stretch you out, especially in the pelvis and ribs.
- Encourage deeper and more relaxing breathing
Massage stimulates the respiratory and digestive systems, encouraging open and normal breathing, helping alleviate typical pregnancy symptoms such as heartburn.
- Fill your body with oxytocin, the love hormone!
Give a treat to your baby! Your baby will enjoy all the benefits of massage. If you are happy and relaxed and calm, you will produce oxytocin and release endorphins. These hormones will transfer to the baby too via your placenta.
Why have a massage after birth?
Massage after your baby has arrived can feel wonderfully restorative and nourishing. Postnatal massage with me may:
- Give you some gentle time to reconnect with your body and process the birth.
- Support the natural process of your body recovering itself from pregnancy.
- Provide you with some resting time between feeds.
- Help you to sleep better afterwards.
- Promote good circulation and lymphatic flow around your body.
- Relieve back, shoulder and arm aches (from holding and feeding your baby).
- Reduce residual swelling around legs and hands from the pregnancy, with soothing strokes.
- You may want to have your baby with you and the treatment will be worked around both your needs.